Close your eyes and imagine a tropical paradise with white sand beaches, swaying palms and sparkling blue water with amazing diving and snorkeling opportunities. Yes, that’s Africa! While most people think first about Africa’s spectacular safari opportunities, its more than 18,900 miles of coastline also make it an increasingly popular destination to soak up the sun. And combining safari and beach is getting easier all the time with new flights, transfer options and resorts. In some cases, you can be watching elephants in the morning and dolphins in the afternoon! By the time the sun sets over the deck of your dhow, you’ll see why it’s becoming so common to seek a refreshingly luxurious spot for a post-safari getaway.
- Explore the small, sandy islands of Mozambique’s Bazaruto and Quirimbas archipelagos, where small, upscale resorts provide the perfect retreat for diving, sailing, and soaking up the hot African sun.
- Slip into the lap of luxury in Seychelles, where white-sand beaches (many on private islands) offer ample opportunities for relaxation and adrenaline-pumping watersports.
- Experience the underwater beauty of the Maldives, where flat, coral atoll islands offer some of the best diving in the world.
- Add some sand to a Kenya or Tanzania safari in Zanzibar, where historic trade centers showcase the prevailing culture of the Arab world.
- Soak up the sun on the sandy beaches of Mombasa and Malindi, two crowning jewels on the Kenyan coast hailed for their large, reasonably priced resorts.
- Discover why Mark Twain once said heaven copied Mauritius, a mountainous, beach-studded island known for its diverse culture, high-end resorts, and exquisite cuisine.
- Witness South Africa’s spectacularly remote Indian Ocean coast, perhaps stopping to enjoy the amazing surf spots in the south.