While Africa is known for its wildlife-studded safaris, its more than 18,900 miles of coastline also make it an increasingly popular destination to soak up the sun. After an early-morning safari, treat yourself to a lounge on a white-sand beach, a dive in crystal-clear waters, or a sailboat ride on the sparkling Indian Ocean. By the time the sun sets over the deck of your dhow, you’ll see why it’s becoming so common to seek a refreshingly luxurious spot for a post-safari getaway.
- Explore the small, sandy islands of Mozambique’s Bazaruto and Quirimbas archipelagos, where small, upscale resorts provide the perfect retreat for diving, sailing, and soaking up the hot African sun.
- Slip into the lap of luxury in Seychelles, where white-sand beaches (many on private islands) offer ample opportunities for relaxation and adrenaline-pumping watersports.
- Experience the underwater beauty of the Maldives, where flat, coral atoll islands offer some of the best diving in the world.
- Add some sand to a Kenya or Tanzania safari in Zanzibar, where historic trade centers showcase the prevailing culture of the Arab world.
- Soak up the sun on the sandy beaches of Mombasa and Malindi, two crowning jewels on the Kenyan coast hailed for their large, reasonably priced resorts.
- Discover why Mark Twain once said heaven copied Mauritius, a mountainous, beach-studded island known for its diverse culture, high-end resorts, and exquisite cuisine.
- Witness South Africa’s spectacularly remote Indian Ocean coast, perhaps stopping to enjoy the amazing surf spots in the south.