Venture off the beaten path to Malawi, a small, narrow country hailed as an up-and-coming destination for spotting Africa’s “Big Five.” Geographically, Malawi is dominated by sparkling Lake Malawi, which offers island and shore resorts with ample opportunities for freshwater diving and snorkeling. However, Malawi has many other diverse landscapes that beg to be explored. From the rolling grasslands of the Nyika Plateau to the towering peaks of Zomba and Mulanje, see why Malawi is often hailed as “the warm heart of Africa.”
- Search for Africa’s iconic Big Five on a safari in Majete or Liwonde National Park.
- Snorkel, dive, and sail on crystal-clear Lake Malawi, the third-largest freshwater lake in Africa and home to one of the world’s greatest selections of freshwater fish.
- Experience Malawi’s rich culture by meeting its people, who are often hailed as some of the friendliest in Africa.
- See why Malawi is praised as a birdwatcher’s paradise, with nearly 650 species of birds within its tiny borders.
- Soak up Malawi’s stunning scenery with countless opportunities for hiking and mountain biking.