Witness the verdant beauty of Rwanda, a country where lush, bamboo-covered hills house one of the world’s last-remaining populations of mountain gorillas. While these endangered species are undoubtedly among the country’s most famous residents, Rwanda also offers life-changing interactions with other primates, including the rare golden monkeys of the easily accessible Parc National des Volcans. With its stunning rainforest scenery and incredible primate population, Rwanda is an excellent addition to a Kenya or Tanzania trip, as well as a memorable adventure on its own.
- Trek through the mist-shrouded rainforest in search of Rwanda’s most renowned species: the rare mountain gorilla.
- Hike along the bases of volcanoes in Parc National des Volcans, home to several troops of endangered golden monkeys.
- Explore the rolling plains of Akagera National Park, renowned for its diverse population of birds, including eagles and other large raptors.
- Discover the history of Rwanda in the lovely capital of Kigali, which features a powerful monument to the country’s infamous 1994 genocide.
- Search for primates along the well-maintained trails of Nyungwe Forest National Park, which houses chimpanzees, Dent’s monkeys, olive baboons, grey-cheeked mangabeys, and more.